Mummy Makeover in Sydney
Mummy Makeover in Sydney
What Is Mummy Makeover Surgery?
Dr Kumar is very sensitive to your needs and concerns that may result from these changes. The operations that are offered are quite comprehensive, usually involving both the breasts and the abdomen, and are tailored to rejuvenate your body to how it used to be before kids.
The main goal of a Mummy Makeover in Sydney is to help rejuvenate your shape and overall appearance after pregnancy. It is typically performed as a single stage procedure and aims to help women regain smoother, firmer body contours and restore breasts to their pre-pregnancy position and fullness.
The Mummy Makeover incorporates a full breast rejuvenation – i.e. breast augmentation, lift, reduction or reshaping – as well as a tummy tuck. Liposuction is also used to remove any stubborn deposits of fat and abdominal wall muscles are tightened, creating a curvy and strong waistline. Occasionally smaller procedures such as a Labiaplasty may be incorporated if pregnancy related changes have affected this area as well.
The overall surgical approach and techniques involved in mummy makeover surgery in Sydney will vary depending on your individual requirements.
Am I a Candidate for Mummy Makeover Surgery in Sydney?
- Your weight has to be stable for a duration of at least 3 months prior to surgery
- You are no longer breast feeding and this has been stopped for at least 3 months prior to surgery
- You must not smoke or use any nicotine products for at least 12 weeks prior and 12 weeks after surgery
With regards to the types of surgery, if you feel you meet one or more of the following then you may be a good candidate for mummy makeover surgery in Sydney:
BREAST LIFT (WITH OR WITHOUT IMPLANTS)
- Your breasts have lost their shape and volume particularly in the upper half of the breast ( upper poles)
- Your nipples fall below the breast crease or point downwards
- Your breasts have developed a flatter, elongated shape following pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Your breast tissue has stretched and/or your areolae have stretched
- One of your breasts sit lower on your chest than the other ( sometimes made worse after breast feeding)
- Your breasts look “deflated”
- You would like to restore your breasts to a better shape or position
- You have been left with excess, loose skin or persistent bulges around your abdomen following pregnancy and breastfeeding which persists despite diet and exercise
- You are experiencing reduced body-confidence due to bulges & sagging skin around your abdomen
- You feel self-conscious wearing fitted clothing or when wearing swim wear, lingerie or underwear
- You would you like to balance out your physique and overall body shape.
- You wish to gain greater control of your abdominal muscle wall (core strength) that has weakened or separated (Rectus Diastasis) as a result of pregnancy
- You have lower back pain or incontinence after childbirth
- You are at a healthy weight but still unhappy with the overall shape of your body
- You are unhappy about the appearance of certain uneven or bulky areas even though you’re fit and healthy
- You find yourself becoming self-conscious about bulging fat pockets that will not budge even after exercise and healthy diet
- You want to target fat reduction in a specific area or number of areas, such as your stomach or hips without impacting your entire body shape or size
- You have long or ‘hanging’ vaginal lips
- You are experiencing labial discomfort, pain, or irritation – particularly during certain activities or while wearing certain clothes
- You experience discomfort or embarrassment during intimacy
- You are experiencing dryness in this area
BENEFITS OF MUMMY MAKEOVER SURGERY
What are the Benefits of a Mummy Makeover Procedure in Sydney?
- The ability to combine multiple plastic surgery procedures into a single surgical session
- One time under anaesthesia and one recovery period to schedule (ideal for busy mothers with young children)
- Combining procedures can result in a cost benefits to you as you may save on hospital and anaesthetic fees.
Physical benefit of Breast Rejuvenation Surgery:
- firmer, lifted and more youthful looking breasts
- An improvement in the appearance of drooping breasts by removing excess skin and lifting the inner breast tissue
- An improvement or correction of nipple appearance by reshaping and repositioning drooping or enlarged nipples
- Restoration of a more youthful, ‘perkier’ breast appearance which can also enhance your cleavage and body contours
Physical benefits of Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery:
- Smoother skin around your abdominal region
- Firmer Flatter abdomen
- Sculpted abdominal area helping define underlying muscles
- Greater Abdominal Muscle Control (Improved Core Strength)
- There may be improvement in lower back pain
- There may be improvement in incontinence
- More options in choosing clothing and finding clothing that is more in proportion to the rest of your body
Common Questions about Mummy Makeover Surgery in Sydney
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
Mummy Makeover surgery in Sydney, is performed under general anaesthesia and usually requires an in-hospital stay of 3 nights. There is minimal pain after the procedure and this is controlled with simple analgesia. Dr Kumar only performs this procedure under a general anaesthetic in accredited private hospitals to ensure maximal patient safety and comfort.
Breast Lift (with or without implants)
The procedure itself generally lasts for 2-4 hours, (this will vary from patient to patient) The Surgical Approach There are different types of Breast Lift procedures that Dr Kumar may perform, these include the following:
- CRESCENT BREAST LIFT
This procedure is also known as a nipple lift and is a simple breast lift that corrects mild (Grade I) ptosis.
During this surgery, Dr Kumar will remove a crescent shaped piece of tissue above your areola before he raises your nipple to a higher position.
- FULL MASTOPEXY BREAST LIFT
The Full Mastopexy Breast Lift is also known as an Anchor lift or the Inverted-T and corrects moderate to severe ( Grade II or Grade III) ptosis.
Dr Kumar will make an anchor-shaped incision that starts at the base of your areola and travels to the bottom of your breast where it meets your ribcage. He will then re-position your nipple so that it sits in a more youthful position whilst moving breast tissues upward to improve fullness.
- FULL ABDOMINOPLASTY
A Full Abdominoplasty involves the surgical reduction of excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen. This tightens the muscles and connective tissue of the abdominal wall.
The procedure is often ideal for patients who have excess, sagging skin around the abdomen area as a result of pregnancy.
- MINI TUMMY TUCK
A Mini Tummy Tuck is a slightly modified Abdominoplasty procedure that uses a smaller incision than a Full Tummy Tuck. It is typically ideal for patients who require a small amount of loose skin to be removed around the lower abdomen, and who do not have fully separated abdominal wall muscles.
A Fleur-De-Lis abdominoplasty reduces excess skin and fat and helps provide access to the damaged muscles in the stomach. The technique is similar to a traditional tummy tuck, however, there is an additional vertical incision to better address the excess abdominal skin above the belly button. It is ideal for those requiring more skin removal than a full or mini abdominoplasty.
Liposuction may be used as part of your tummy tuck procedure to remove stubborn pockets of fat from your abdomen area and to reduce excess fat which may have developed in areas such as your hips.
The surgical technique Dr Kumar prefers to use in Labiaplasty surgery is the wedge method. This method removes a wedge-shaped portion of the unwanted labium which reduces the bulk of the labia minora. The wedge of labial tissue is removed without affecting any functioning areas of the vagina.
Risks and Complications
If you are considering a Mummy Makeover, then it is important that you are informed of the potential risks, complications and side effects of this surgery.
While all care is taken to minimise or totally avoid these complications and side effects, complications may and do occur despite the best medical care. It is important that you carefully read and understand the risk factors and they will be discussed in more detail when you have your consultation with your surgeon.
The Risks Include:
- Injury to the surrounding tissue
- A collection of fluid or blood within the breast that needs to be drained
- Altered sensation to the breast or nipple
- Slow healing
- Mal-position of the implant
- Rupture of the implant
- Capsule formation and capsular contracture
- Rippling or wrinkling of the implant and skin
- An association with ALCL (a very rare lymphoma)
- Infection of the wound
- Incision site pain
- Haematoma (blood clot)
- Skin/flap/umbilicus loss requiring a skin graft
- Seroma (excessive accumulation of fluid) may occur under the incision site
- Temporary or permanent numbness of the incision site and surrounds
- A blood transfusion may be required
- Short term nausea and vomiting
- Hypertrophic and keloid scars
Recovery from Mummy Makeover
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover is dependent on the extent of procedures undertaken. In most cases the limiting factor is the recovery from the abdominoplasty.
The operation will be performed under general anaesthetic and you can expect to stay in hospital for a minimum of three days. There is usually minimal to no discomfort from the breast surgery while there is a mild degree of discomfort in the early post-operative period with the abdominal component. This is easily controlled by intravenous medications prescribed by your anaesthetist. You will be changed to oral analgesia within a few days after the surgery.
As for an abdominoplasty, you will initially be nursed in a flexed position on your bed and you will slowly straighten up over the next few days prior to your discharge. There will be drains in your abdomen and often in the breast which are removed usually by the time of discharge.
Luckily the vaginal area heals very quickly, meaning recovery for a Labiaplasty procedure is relatively minimal. Dissolvable stitches are used in the process of this procedure, which can result in discomfort for a few days as the stitches take around 7-10 days to dissolve.
While recovery time will vary from patient to patient based on the extent of surgery undertaken, you should plan for the following:
- A minimum 2 weeks off work
- No driving for 1 weeks
- No heavy lifting for 6 weeks
- If you have young children then you will need support in caring for them for at least the first three weeks after surgery.
You will wear a compression garment for 6 weeks after the procedure. This compression garment provides support for the newly tightened skin offering the best environment for a cosmetically pleasing result.
Maintaining Your Mummy Makeover results
Good results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. Please keep in mind that your results from you Mummy Makeover Surgery may be impacted by fluctuations in your weight, early excessive activity, skin health or Body Mass Index (BMI). No two patients are the same and surgery results will vary from patient to patient. It is important to work together with Dr Kumar to ensure you get the most out of your surgery and results.
Download Our Mummy Makeover Guide
This complete guide to Mummy Makeover Surgery covers everything you need to know about this procedure including:
- Mummy Makeover surgery explained
- What is a Mummy Makeover?
- What procedures are available?
- Am I a good candidate?
- How to plan for your Mummy Makeover surgery
- Benefits of Mummy Makeovers
- Rest and Recovery
- Will Medicare cover my surgery?
- Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions
Mummy Makeover Cost
After your initial consultation with Dr Kumar, you will be given a detailed itemised quote specific to the procedures that have been tailored for you. This will include Dr Kumar’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
We will also provide information on our payment plan plus other different ways to pay for your surgery.
Can private health insurance be used?
Weight loss patients
There is a Medicare Item (#30177) for patients who have experienced significant weight loss and are suffering from excess skin and tissue that resulted from that weight loss. This weight loss can not include the weight during pregnancy.
For the Medicare item number to apply you must demonstrate the following:
- That you have had significant weight loss defined as 5 BMI points or more (unrelated to pregnancy) without weight fluctuations for at least 6 months,
- The level of excess skin is interfering with daily living,
- The use of non-surgical treatment for skin irritation caused by excess skin has failed to work,
- If you have a hernia which can be documented in an ultrasound – it can also assist in seeking coverage.
All of the above should be discussed with your referring GP and documented in their referral to us. If you provide a referral, Medicare will provide you with a rebate of just over $75 from our initial consultation fee of $300
Women with children (who have NOT experienced significant weight loss)
You may be eligible for a medicare rebate for some of the breast procedures that are available. If you require a breast reduction, for example, then the item code #45523 may apply. If you need a breast lift and this can be clearly documented via measurements and photographs and your youngest child is between 1 and 7 years of age then you may be eligible for an MBS code #45558
Unfortunately the government changed access to the abdominoplasty Medicare item number in 2016, to the disadvantage of many women with children. Often these women have experienced significant muscle separation and resultant back pain and incontinence. The Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) has made a number of representations, to have the Government include abdominal reconstruction for post-pregnancy women, but sadly these requests have fallen on deaf ears to date!
This means that women who have not experienced weight loss will not have access to an item number. Many of these ladies still choose to have their tummy tuck procedure with Dr Kumar, but it is obviously frustrating for all concerned that they are not able to access the Medicare rebate or have their health insurance help fund the cost. We continue to work with our hospitals and our other medical professionals to keep the cost as low as possible for our patients while maintaining the high standard of safe and expert care that is synonymous with Dr Kumar.
Meet The Expert
As a patient of Dr Kumar, you can expect a personalised and positive experience. Along with him, his professional and caring team are there to support you on your surgical journey from your first call to well after you have recovered from your surgery. Working in harmony with you, Dr Kumar and his team strive to provide exceptional results that will leave you feeling proud and confident in your own skin.