to the Breast
to the Breast
What Is Fat Grafting?
Fat grafting ( also known as Fat Transfer), as it applies to the breast is a procedure that can improve the appearance, shape and profile of your breasts.
There are many circumstances where Dr Kumar would consider using Fat Grafting in Sydney.
- As a form of primary breast augmentation where the patient is considering their own tissue rather then breast implants
- To enhance the appearance of a breast implant by softening the curves to provide a more natural appearance
- To enhance the volume in a breast following a breast lift ( sometimes reducing the need for a breast implant following a lift)
- To enhance the appearance of a breast after breast reduction particularly after massive weight loss ( sometimes reducing the need for breast implants)
- To help in revision surgery such as treating a double bubble
- To help in reconstruction surgery, for example, when operating on tissue that has previously been irradiated.
Fat grafting is performed by harvesting fat from a donor site such as the abdomen, hips, buttocks, and/or waist and transplanting this fat by injecting it strategically into the breasts. Many patients enjoy the extra benefit of liposuction of fat from one of these donor sites as well.
Dr Kumar has particular expertise in this procedure, and is one of the first surgeons to use the REVOLVE™ fat grafting system in Australia.
Am I A Good Candidate For Fat Grafting in Sydney?
You may be a candidate for fat transfer surgery if you are:
- Looking to soften the appearance of you breast implants
- Looking to only achieve a small size increase ( approximately a half to a full cup in size)
- You have adequate fat deposits from which we can harvest the fat
- are a candidate for a breast lift and implants ( augmentation/mastopexy) but you are unsure as to whether you want implants
- need to remove a double double or similar complication
- you have lost a large amount of weight and need to replace volume and recreate shape but don’t necessarily want large implants
- you have had breast cancer and are considering reconstructive surgery.
Benefits of a Fat Transfer
What are the Benefits of a Fat Transfer Breast Enlargement Procedure?
- Achieve a better breast shape, volume or cleavage without using implants
- Less scarring than augmentation using implants
- The breast can look and feel natural
- Less weight on skin than an implant which can be favourable in some situations ( less so in poor quality skin)
- The donor site liposuction may help to contour that particular site on your body
- Some researchers believe that there is an improvement in skin appearance due to cellular renewal processes ( potentially importation of Stem cells)
Common Questions about Fat Grafting (Fat Transfer) in Sydney
Fat grafting in Sydney is performed under general anaesthesia and is usually a day-only procedure. There is minimal pain after the procedure and this is usually controlled with simple analgesia. Dr Kumar only performs this procedure under a general anaesthetic in accredited private hospitals to ensure maximal patient safety and comfort.
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
Dr Kumar will perform liposuction using a cannula to remove donor fat. This fat is then processed and filtered of impurities. After processing it appropriately he will then transfer this pure fat to the breasts by injecting it into the desired areas using special injection cannulas.
Will I have Scars?
While the scars are minimal compared to a breast augmentation with implants procedure, you will still have scars from the injection cannula and liposuction cannula. These are usually between 1mm and 3mm in size.
Risks and Complications
While all care is taken to minimise or totally avoid these complications and side effects, complications may and do occur despite the best medical care. It is important that you carefully read and understand the risk factors and they will be discussed in more detail when you have your consultation with Dr Kumar.
The risk include:
- the risks of general anaesthesia
- bleeding (Haematoma)
- poor wound healing
- deep vein thrombosis
- contour irregularities following liposuction
How long does it take to recover?
The length of your recovery will depend on the specific procedure and technique that Dr Kumar has used for your results. Recovery times can vary from person to person. If you have a “desk job” or one that doesn’t involve significant upper body physical activity, then most patients are back at this within 2 weeks of surgery. In general, however, Dr Kumar suggests that you should allow 4-6 weeks for initial recovery following your surgery. Scar maturation/fading often takes longer.
Dr Kumar will work with you to allow for adequate and proper healing time. It is important to speak with him before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise.
You will be given post-operative compression garments to wear after your surgery and it is vital that you follow Dr Kumar’s orders with respect to wearing these during your recovery period.
Good results depend on a collaborative approach between you and Dr Kumar. You must be willing to follow the specific instructions given to you by Dr Kumar, and attend all post-operative appointments.
Download Our Fat Grafting
To The Breast Guide
- Fat Transfer Augmentation Surgery Explained
- How to assess if you are a good candidate
- Planning for your Fat Transfer to Breast Surgery
- Answers to our most frequently asked questions
Fat Grafting to the Breast Cost
We will also provide information on our fat grafting payment plan plus other different ways to pay for Breast Implant surgery.
3D Vectra Simulation
See results on your own body with a $50 Vectra Simulation with our Patient Co-ordinator. This scan with give you a much better idea of sizing and placement and you can see what different implant sizes will look like on your own frame and in clothing. Dr Kumar is one of very few practices that offers this service in Sydney and feels that it provides a far more accurate representation for his patients then simply putting sizing implants in a bra. Click here for more information or to book a 3D Vectra consult.
Meet The Expert
As a patient of Dr Kumar, you can expect a personalised and positive experience. Along with him, his professional and caring team are there to support you on your surgical journey from your first call to well after you have recovered from your surgery. Working in harmony with you, Dr Kumar and his team strive to provide exceptional results that will leave you feeling proud and confident in your own skin.